Sunday, August 21, 2011

Space Music

I know this blog was formed for the purpose of showcasing contemporary classical music composition and performances in Maine, USA, but in the broader perspective, planet Earth is a pretty cool place to be.

I'll be gone for two weeks participating in a NASA-funded research study where I will be living in an environment with no time cues, no windows to the outside, and no communication with the outside world via computers or cell phones. I've been trained how to operate the robotic arm on the International Space Station and will be tested on my performance in doing so.

This blog will be stagnant for the duration and I thought it best to take the opportunity to share some links highlighting the rich albeit recent history that music shares with mankind's exploration of space.

Many astronauts have played musical instruments in space:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/04sep_music/

http://www.hobbyspace.com/Music/index.html#InSpace

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/16/138171055/music-in-space

The fact is, music has played a very important role in many ways, during our explorations beyond this planet, as it should... because after all, music is ingrained into our psyche, whether we be on the ground or floating above.

To conclude, check out my absolute favorite, bridging the gap between classical and popular music in an extra-worldly way--this duet by Astronaut Cady Cole and Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson!



Enjoy! and.. I'll talk to you when I hit ground in Maine again!

Astro-lutely yours,
Major Meiklejohn

No comments:

Post a Comment